Six Simple Reasons Small Businesses Fail
Melinda Brennan writing a post for CopyBlogger outlined 6 mistakes you can make which will kill your online business. As I read her six very well written mistakes (this was CopyBlogger after all) I realized they all could be applied to an off line business as well. She said:
- A sucky attitude – Are you offering your customers new products, new services, new reasons to come back?
- Marketing to a demographic, not a niche - It’s only a niche when they share a problem – What problem do you solve?
- Looking like a cheapskate – With online printing, and print on demand products, you can look like you spent a lot money – but you do have to spend a little.
- Pay for the upgrade, don’t leave the Vista Print logo on your card
- Spend some money on a unique logo or graphic, you don’t know where that clip art has been used
- If you can’t afford to do a lot of marketing, do one thing well!
- Not capturing visitor details – If someone takes the time to visit your site, introduce yourself, offer them a reason to get to know you better: A newsletter or free whitepaper, anything to get their contact information so you can stay in touch! (Want to learn more about conversion strategies? Check out our seminar: From Random Strangers to Raving Fans)
- Failing to plan long term – Or not planning at all. As the Cheshire Cat said to Alice, if you don’t know where you are going, any road will get you there. ( Need help getting your plan started? Check out our free business plan outline)
- All learning, no action – Planning is good, but sometimes you just have to jump in!